On Sep 22, 2014, at 07:44 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

>Can we just add the Wheel files to ensurepip for Trusty? It's already
>being done for virtualenv (which is why it works at all) and that should
>be way less impact than having to do the full backport that the other
>thing would require.

I'm not sure that helps much, since to build the wheels, we still need to
backport all those packages.  I don't think it will be acceptable to just
slide the .whl files into python3.4 since we'd still be violating the rule of
including files not built from source.

One thing we could do though is only complain if --with-pip is included.
Yeah, it's the default, but if someone explicitly calls --without-pip, it
would work (since ensurepip isn't invoked).  I guess that's only marginally
better.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to python3-defaults in

  pyvenv fails due to mising ensurepip module

Status in “python3-defaults” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “python3.4” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “python3.4” package in Debian:

  Hello,

  I noticed the following

  # fails
  python3.4 -m venv --clear python-venv
  Error: Command '['.../external/python-venv/bin/python3.4', '-Im',
'ensurepip', '--upgrade', '--default-pip']' returned non-zero exit status 1

  # works, but no pip
  python3.4 -m venv --clear --without-pip python-venv

  Thank you