Mh, I've been giving a look to this, but while applying shadows in non-
rectangular windows is something that is better to avoid (no WM does it
AFAIK, and that case is preferred to leave that role to the apps).

So, at this point I'd go for not shadowing an app like that at all.

I've to mention btw, that other WMs (compiz trunk or metacity) added
both decorations and shadows to a such window.

** Changed in: unity

** Changed in: unity
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Marco Trevisan (Treviño) (3v1n0)

** Changed in: unity

** Changed in: unity (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: unity (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Marco Trevisan (Treviño) (3v1n0)

** Changed in: unity
    Milestone: None => 7.3.1

** Changed in: unity (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: unity/7.2

** Changed in: unity/7.2

** Changed in: unity/7.2
    Milestone: None => 7.2.3

** Changed in: unity/7.2
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Marco Trevisan (Treviño) (3v1n0)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  Shadow applied inconsistently to windows that use XShape

Status in Unity:
  In Progress
Status in Unity 7.2 series:
  In Progress
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  When using the XShape APIs*, windows that have a rectangular shape are
  treated like normal windows (they get a title bar and shadow) even if
  the rectangular region is much smaller than the window.

  When a non-rectangular window changes its shape to be rectangular, it
  gains a shadow that remains even after changing its shape back to be
  non-rectangular.

  Ideally there would always be a shadow that matches the shape of the
  window.

  In the mean time, the correct behavior might be to remove the shadow
  whenever a shape is applied. If the application wishes to remove an
  applied shape, they could do something like:

    XShapeCombineMask(d, w, ShapeBounding, 0, 0, None, ShapeSet);

  Please let me know if you need any more details, or if I'm missing
  something. (Unfortunately, the ubuntu-bug tool wouldn't work when
  filing this bug).

  * http://www.x.org/releases/current/doc/xextproto/shape.html