This type of situation can have a significant impact on scripted
configuration. The situation first and foremost on my mind is adding
packages via either UserData or Cfn-Init inside of the AWS EC2 service.
Additionally, Packer and Vagrant using the Shell provisioner would be
affected, and I'm sure there are many other cases, as well. My point is
that this has the potential to affect far more than just a one-time
single user interaction, but it would actually make it easier to remove
some kludgey workarounds that may be necessary to overcome dpkg locks in
an enterprise environment.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  Add option to wait for /var/lib/dpkg/lock to become free

Status in aptitude:
  Fix Released
Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in apt package in Debian:

  Binary package hint: apt

  Today I was waiting for texlive-full to install when I discovered that
  I would also need texmaker. Also, I plan to add apt-get full-upgrade
  to my nightly crontab, but I don't want it to fail if I happen to be
  manually installing a package at the same time.

  For both of the above situations, it would be useful to have a
  command-line flag that wouldd make apt-get wait for /var/lib/dpkg/lock
  to become free, rather than giving up immediately. I suggest -w and
  --wait, since they're not being used for anything.