I started using DNS Crypt. I set for connections to use local DNS Crypt
forwarder. Now it works everytime.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to dnsmasq in Ubuntu.

  dnsmasq not working with OpenVPN

Status in dnsmasq package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in openvpn-systemd-resolved package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using OpenVPN configured with Network Manager. My VPN have a DNS
  server configured by OpenVPN and config pushed by it while connecting.
  This server is not registered by dnsmasq so domain names are not
  resolved but pinging by IP address works. When I test name resolving
  by pointing to DNS server (172.16.1.1) from VPN provider it's works.
  For example:

  $ host google.com 172.16.1.1
  Using domain server:
  Name: 172.16.1.1
  Address: 172.16.1.1#53
  Aliases:

  google.com has address 172.217.0.174
  google.com has IPv6 address 2607:f8b0:400b:807::200e
  google.com mail is handled by 30 alt2.aspmx.l.google.com.
  google.com mail is handled by 20 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.
  google.com mail is handled by 40 alt3.aspmx.l.google.com.
  google.com mail is handled by 10 aspmx.l.google.com.
  google.com mail is handled by 50 alt4.aspmx.l.google.com.

  But if I test without pointing DNS server is not working:

  $ host google.com

  My /etc/resolv.conf:
  # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
  #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
  nameserver 127.0.1.1

  To repair this bug I have to kill dnsmasq and it's automatically
  reloaded.