OK, more research.  This looks to be a mismatch between what logind
expects lightdm to do and what we actually do.

Mir sessions started by lightdm all use the same VT number (they all
live on the VT owned by unity-system-compositor.

But logind does not allow two user sessions to be on the same VT.  (It
does allow greeter and user sessions to share one, which is why we
didn't notice this bug when using unity8-greeter logging into a unity8
session.)  The relevant logind check is listed below [1].

One fix would be to allow type=mir sessions to share a VT.  But I'd like
input from Robert Ancell before moving on that.  It's possible lightdm
should be doing something else or that we don't actually want to break
the assumption in systemd that each session has its own VT.

[1]
        /*
         * Old gdm and lightdm start the user-session on the same VT as
         * the greeter session. But they destroy the greeter session
         * after the user-session and want the user-session to take
         * over the VT. We need to support this for
         * backwards-compatibility, so make sure we allow new sessions
         * on a VT that a greeter is running on. Furthermore, to allow
         * re-logins, we have to allow a greeter to take over a used VT for
         * the exact same reasons.
         */
        if (c != SESSION_GREETER &&
            vtnr > 0 &&
            vtnr < m->seat0->position_count &&
            m->seat0->positions[vtnr] &&
            m->seat0->positions[vtnr]->class != SESSION_GREETER)
                return sd_bus_error_setf(error, BUS_ERROR_SESSION_BUSY,
"Already occupied by a session");

** No longer affects: mir

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to mir in Ubuntu.

  Second unity8 user session hangs with a black screen

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Triaged
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  Login to user1 using u8 as the session
  login to a second session and select u8 as the session

  The screen goes black and the fan comes on indicating something is in a tight
loop
  Waited for several minutes and it stays in that state. A hard power cycle is
needed.

  This is with the Zesty as of 3/15, no extra packages installed.