I filed the linked upstream bug.  Lennart is on vacation for a couple
more weeks, so this won't see quick action.  pitti pointed me at old bug
1192842 which is basically an old dupe.

All signs are pointing at this being an involved fix that will require
upstream buy-in.  So I'm inclined to set this aside for now and just
accept the bug for zesty, rather than try to make big changes to logind
late in the cycle; changes that we may not end up using in that form
long term.

  Second unity8 user session hangs with a black screen

Status in Canonical System Image:
  In Progress
Status in systemd:
  Unknown
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  Login to user1 using u8 as the session
  login to a second session and select u8 as the session

  The screen goes black and the fan comes on indicating something is in a tight
loop
  Waited for several minutes and it stays in that state. A hard power cycle is
needed.

  This is with the Zesty as of 3/15, no extra packages installed.