My only experience is with xfce desktop and I can confirm that from version 16
at least, mouse sensitivity and acceleration settings didn't work correctly.
Generally it was either too slow or too fast. I was happy with too much
acception so I didn't complain. But they have updated the xorg server so
something may have gone wrong. And I don't think we are going to hear a lot of
complaints about this.
Neither sensitivity nor acceleration do anything at all in this version.
Everything is just constant. And certainly I am not going to mess with system
packages to solve this.
@clel Geschwindigkeit is just velocity or speed. For acceleration they should
have used Beschleunigung. The sensitivity adjusts the relationship between
physical mouse movement and the pointer movement. How precise it is. The
acceleration increases the ratio between pointer movement and mouse movement
depending on the speed or Geschwindigkeit of the mouse itself. In other words
it translates mouse speed into pointer acceleration or Beschleunigung. So you
can call it speed if you mean mouse movement, but acceleration if you mean
pointer movement. Sensitivity and acceleration settings are distinct and I
cannot see how they can combine them unless they just discard one, probably the
sensitivity, and keep accelerate and rename it to speed or Geschwindigkeit.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  Mouse acceleration significantly reduced after upgrade to 17.04

Status in xorg package in Ubuntu:

  My external Logitech USB mouse was behaving nicely under 16.10 but
  after upgrade to 17.04 it has slowed down to a crawl. Settings
  slidebars are set at the maximum acceleration, but it only affects the
  touch pad, the mouse is extremely slow.