Julian, I'm afraid that for better or worse Launchpad did generate
1024-bit RSA keys for PPAs for quite some time, and that wasn't an
entirely silly decision back when it was first made - even then DSA had
known weaknesses.  It's a problem, but as you say we'd need to work out
a rollover mechanism.  Signing with two keys is certainly a possibility
(we did that with the Ubuntu archive for a while, so it's battle-
tested), and I expect that any solution to this would involve that, but
there's no clear way to end the transition.

Bob, I'm afraid that your proposed "simple" workaround is no such thing
(a naive implementation would expose launchpad.net to XSS attacks from
user-supplied content on ppa.launchpad.net).  I listed the issues that
would need to be solved in bug 1473091.  Anyway, TLS is a side issue
here and this bug shouldn't be derailed into that.

We are very unlikely to do any of the proposed renaming/mirroring hacks;
they would be a mess and likely a cure worse than the disease.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  1024-bit signing keys should be deprecated

Status in Launchpad itself:
  New
Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in gnupg2 package in Ubuntu:

  1024-bit RSA was deprecated  years ago by NIST[1], Microsoft[2] and
  more recently by others[3].

  1024-bit signing keys are insufficient to guarantee the authenticity
  of software distributed from Launchpad.net including PPAs. There
  should be a mechanism to refuse signing keys below a minimum key
  length based on key type. 1024-bit signing keys should be deprecated
  and removed from Launchpad.net itself ASAP.  Future projects and PPAs
  should be disallowed from using 1024-bit signing keys.

  1. http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-131A/sp800-131A.pdf
  2.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/pki/archive/2012/06/12/rsa-keys-under-1024-bits-are-blocked.aspx
  3.