That would be the sane thing, however... Practically, without libnss-
resolve installed "systemd-resolve --status" returns an error about some
DBUS element and whether it is because of that or something else not
properly checked, you end up with nothing in /etc/resolv.conf and thus
without any DNS resolution at all.

Also a bit weird in that case is that "networkctl" shows the interface
as routable/configured while clearly configuration did not go well. Meh!

  nplan and libnss-resolve should be in same dependency

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  I am filing this under nplan because I don't know what better anchor
  to use. I discovered for systems which I bring up by using debootstrap
  and then extend that installation to be bootable, I end up with nplan
  installed but not libnss-resolve. This results in broken DNS
  resolution when starting to use nplan.

  It looks like nplan is a dependency of ubuntu-minimal but libnss-
  resolve is only in ubuntu-standard. But it is also required when using
  networkd as renderer for netplan.