Public bug reported:

A few days ago I upgraded my Ubuntu 17.04 to 17.10. Afterwards I found
that my Oracle XE would no longer start. alert_XE.log said things like

    ORA-27300: OS system dependent operation:semctl failed with status: 22
    ORA-27301: OS failure message: Invalid argument
    ORA-27302: failure occurred at: sskgpwrm1
    ORA-27157: OS post/wait facility removed
    ORA-27300: OS system dependent operation:semop failed with status: 43
    ORA-27301: OS failure message: Identifier removed
    ORA-27302: failure occurred at: sskgpwwait1

I found that /etc/systemd/logind.conf had the RemoveIPC line commented
out. When I set RemoveIPC=no (the default is “yes”) and rebooted Linux,
Oracle XE started fine, as it had before the upgrade. So I assume the
17.10 upgrade somehow made a change to the RemoveIPC semantics.

As I found that my previous installation also had a commented RemoveRPC
it looks like Ubuntu 17.10 changed the default value from “no” to “yes”,
and so breaks the Oracle XE installation. In this case I consider this
behavior problematic, it should at least produce a clear warning during
upgrade.

If the default value did not change I have no explanation of the
phenomenon.

** Affects: systemd (Ubuntu)

  Was there a change of RemoveIPC semantics in Ubuntu 17.10?

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu: