"as it had before the upgrade" -> do you per chance have upgrade logs? e.g.
/var/log/apt/* files?
To check if /etc/systemd/logind.conf conffile was overwritten. Local
modifications should be preserved on upgrades and apt logs should mention if
logind.conf was rewritten or not.

The defaults have not changed in artful. RemoveIPC in logind.conf has
been yes since introduction in v211, which is pre-xenial.

There has been no changes to the defaults, so further investigation /
logs are required from the affected system.

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu)

  Was there a change of RemoveIPC semantics in Ubuntu 17.10?

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  A few days ago I upgraded my Ubuntu 17.04 to 17.10. Afterwards I found
  that my Oracle XE would no longer start. alert_XE.log said things like

      ORA-27300: OS system dependent operation:semctl failed with status: 22
      ORA-27301: OS failure message: Invalid argument
      ORA-27302: failure occurred at: sskgpwrm1
      ORA-27157: OS post/wait facility removed
      ORA-27300: OS system dependent operation:semop failed with status: 43
      ORA-27301: OS failure message: Identifier removed
      ORA-27302: failure occurred at: sskgpwwait1

  I found that /etc/systemd/logind.conf had the RemoveIPC line commented
  out. When I set RemoveIPC=no (the default is “yes”) and rebooted
  Linux, Oracle XE started fine, as it had before the upgrade. So I
  assume the 17.10 upgrade somehow made a change to the RemoveIPC
  semantics.

  As I found that my previous installation also had a commented
  RemoveRPC it looks like Ubuntu 17.10 changed the default value from
  “no” to “yes”, and so breaks the Oracle XE installation. In this case
  I consider this behavior problematic, it should at least produce a
  clear warning during upgrade.

  If the default value did not change I have no explanation of the
  phenomenon.