Discussion spun forward - TL;DR:
- we have time for the nss-pem changes and tjaalton will drive those in debian
- for our current need we might not even want to move the libs
  - but instead provide symlinks (least invasive change for now until Debian
decided on our bug)

I'll revamp my current ppa fix, maybe merge the latest nss from Debian
and retest for an MP/upload later on.

Thansk xnox and tjaalton for the great discussion on IRC.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to nss in Ubuntu.

  libfreebl3.so should be public, not in the nss subdir

Status in nss package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in nss package in Debian:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  Hi,
  I tried to move the chrony dependency from tomcrypt to libnss to avoid
universe dependencies.
  While doing so I found that libfreebl3 is not "normally" linkable being
outside the normal ld paths.

  E.g. sample program
  #include <nss.h>
  #include <hasht.h>
  #include <nsslowhash.h>
  int main(int argc, char **argv) {
      NSSLOWHASH_Begin(NSSLOWHASH_NewContext(NSSLOW_Init(), HASH_AlgSHA512));
      return 0;
  }

  Build:
  gcc -g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wall -pthread -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-I/usr/include/nss -I/usr/include/nspr -o docheck docheck.c -lfreebl3
-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro -v -Wl,-v -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/nss

  Then:
  ldd docheck
  will give you
          libfreebl3.so => not found

  Obviously a link into /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ fixes the issue but
  needs some more consideration if that is the thing we want (there
  might be a reason it is where it is).

  Note: Required to go on with the chrony MIR which is rather urgent to
  be sorted out as it has a lot of other dependencies that need to be
  adapted.