Sounds like this is a bug in systemd, since it's what will deal with the
actual devices.

** Also affects: systemd (Ubuntu)

  bond parameters are not changed by 'netplan apply'

Status in nplan package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  I have a yaml file as follows:

  network:
      version: 2
      ethernets:
          bonddevs:
              match:
                  name: ens[78]
      bonds:
          bond0:
              interfaces: [bonddevs]
              parameters:
                  mode: active-backup
                  mii-monitor-interval: 1
              addresses:
                  - 10.10.10.1/24

  Say I decide that 1s is too frequent for the MII interval, and I want to
change the interval to 2s.

  If I change that in the yaml, then run
  # netplan generate
  # netplan apply
  # cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0|grep "MII Polling Interval (ms)"
  MII Polling Interval (ms): 1000

  In other words, the change has not been applied.

  Running netplan --debug apply prints:
  DEBUG:device bond0 operstate is up, not replugging

  So I wondered if bringing the bond down would help. It does not:
  # ip link set dev bond0 down
  # netplan apply
  # cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0|grep "MII Polling Interval (ms)"
  MII Polling Interval (ms): 1000

  However, deleting the link works:
  # ip link del dev bond0
  # netplan apply
  # cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0|grep "MII Polling Interval (ms)"
  MII Polling Interval (ms): 2000

  This is counter-intuitive behaviour.
  Ideally, I would like a regular netplan apply to work without deleting the
bond.
  However, a changed to the docs to make this clear would be OK.

  Package: nplan 0.32~17.10.1
  ProcVersionSignature: User Name 4.13.0-32.35-generic 4.13.13
  Uname: Linux 4.13.0-32-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.7
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Wed Jan 31 05:47:42 2018