This bug was fixed in the package dialer-app -
0.1+14.10.20141007.1-0ubuntu1

---------------
dialer-app (0.1+14.10.20141007.1-0ubuntu1) 14.09; urgency=low

  [ Bill Filler ]
  * use header in splash screen (LP: #1378379)

  [ Ubuntu daily release ]
  * New rebuild forced

  [ Gustavo Pichorim Boiko ]
  * Display different labels when in emergency mode and when the sim
    card is locked.
  * Remove some code duplication and make sure emergency calling is
    always available.
  * Ship the dialer-app icon in the package. (LP: #1365408)

  [ Tiago Salem Herrmann ]
  * Add support for sim lock detection (LP: #1371661)
  * Remove some code duplication and make sure emergency calling is
    always available.

  [ Albert Astals ]
  * Add i18n.tr
 -- Ubuntu daily release <ps-jenk...@lists.canonical.com>   Tue, 07 Oct 2014
17:02:04 +0000

** Changed in: dialer-app (Ubuntu RTM)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to dialer-app in Ubuntu.

  [unlock] should be prompted if SIM locked on dialler and messaging

Status in Dialer app for Ubuntu Touch:
  Fix Committed
Status in Messaging App:
  Fix Committed
Status in Ubuntu UX bugs:
  Fix Committed
Status in “dialer-app” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in “messaging-app” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in “dialer-app” package in Ubuntu RTM:
  Fix Released
Status in “messaging-app” package in Ubuntu RTM:

  Olga says : My recommendation is that we should bring up the SIM PIN
  unlock screen if user tries to launch the DIALER and MESSAGING apps.
  This can be done additionally to the indicator access. This way a user
  will know instantly that there is no access to this apps without
  unlocking the SIM.

  Related connectivity-service (i-network) bug:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-network/+bug/1374082