The patch applied to Ubuntu Lucid and proposed in:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/poppler/+bug/293832/comments/107
fixed the very same issue for me with a Brother MFC 7820N.
Any comments on the validity and correctness of the patch so we might get it
fixed in poppler if it's really not a driver issue?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.

  printer prints page at wrong position, page cut

Status in Poppler:
  Unknown
Status in brother-cups-wrapper-extra package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in brother-lpr-drivers-extra package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in cups package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in poppler package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in brother-cups-wrapper-extra source package in Karmic:
  Invalid
Status in brother-lpr-drivers-extra source package in Karmic:
  Invalid
Status in cups source package in Karmic:
  Invalid
Status in poppler source package in Karmic:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  After updating to intrepid, my Brother DCP-7025 printed every page
  about 2 cm above the usual position. This leads to pages cut as if
  printing with wrong paper configuration though A4 paper is set
  everywhere (Cups settings, program settings). For example when
  printing a test page with the printer configuration tool I cannot see
  the upper part of the Ubuntu logo.

  I have used both a hardy and an intrepid live cd to test and found out
  that the problem only occurs using intrepid, so I think it's a problem
  with the intrepid driver packages.

  However I found out, that in the printer configuration tool a wrong
  driver "DCP-7025 BR-Script" is loaded. The correct (and working!)
  driver is "DCP-7025 for CUPS". So to manually solve the problem simply
  choose the correct driver in the tool.

  I think that during the installation process of the package "brother-
  cups-wrapper-laser" the correct driver is not set to be used as
  default driver and the system continues to use the wrong driver
  instead.