Not using 14.04 anymore.

This can be closed if not affecting anybody else.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  Video acceleration regression for Radeon Xpress 200M (r300) in xorg-
  lts-xenial & xorg-lts-wily

Status in xserver-xorg-driver-ati:
  Unknown
Status in mesa package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in xserver-xorg-video-ati package in Ubuntu:

  After updating the Ubuntu HWE stack in 14.04 to Xenial (kernel 4.4 and
  xserver-xorg-video-radeon-lts-xenial), system boots up fine and
  responsively, but screen is laggy; there is a tremendous performance
  regression in comparison to xorg-lts-vivid. Lots of video tearing that
  did not occur when using xserver-xorg-video-radeon-lts-vivid.

  System is an older Pentium laptop (Packard Bell EasyNote) with a Radeon
Xpress 200M chip (r300 driver). Video acceleration was working with DRI2 under
the Vivid stack (kernel 3.19-64-lowlatency +
xserver-xorg-video-radeon-lts-vivid).
  I also tried upgrading to the Wily kernel (4.2.0-lowlatency), and video
acceleration works fine with the Vivid xorg.

  I reported this in launchpad previously, and it was dismissed as "invalid"
since Wily is EOL.
  The problem, however, persists in the Xenial stack, so I'm reporting it here.

  Attached are the respective Xorg.0 logs.