** Description changed:

  [Impact]

-  * network menu in recovery mode doesn't work correctly, blocking at
+  * network menu in recovery mode doesn't work correctly, blocking at
  starting systemd services depends to enable networking.

  [Test Case]

-  * Boot w/ Xenial or Bionic in recovery mode via grub
-  * Choose "network" in friendly-recovery menu
+  * Boot w/ Xenial or Bionic in recovery mode via grub
+  * Choose "network" in friendly-recovery menu

-  The network won't be activated and it'll be stuck at systemd-tty-ask-
+  The network won't be activated and it'll be stuck at systemd-tty-ask-
  password :

  # pstree
  systemd-+-bash---pstree
-         |-recovery-menu---network---systemctl---systemd-tty-ask
+         |-recovery-menu---network---systemctl---systemd-tty-ask

  [Regression Potential]

-  * Low, we have tested differents scenarios and everything reported fine
- so far.
+  * Low, we have tested differents scenarios and everything reported fine so
far.
+  * 'resume' option fails to 'resume' boot now, but I think it can still be
fix later on as the system can be rebooted with other alternatives such as
entering the 'root' option and reboot or reset, poweroff the machines,
instances, ...  I think it's more important to have a network workin in
friendly-recovery than being able to resume it at the moment.

  [Other Info]
-
-  * Upstream :
+
+  * Upstream :

https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/friendly-recovery/ubuntu/changes/161?start_revid=161
  Revision  154 to 161

  [Original Description]

  This bug has been noticed after the introduction of the fix of (LP:
  #1682637) in Bionic.

  I have notice a block in Bionic when choosing 'Enable Network' option in
  recovery mode on different bionic vanilla system and I can reproduce all
  the time.

  I also asked colleagues to give it a try (for a second pair of eye on
  this) and they have the same result as me.

  Basically, when choosing 'Enable Network' it get block or lock.
  If we hit 'ctrl-c', then a shell arrive and the system has network
connectivity.

  Here's what I find while enabling "systemd.debug-shell=1" from vtty9 :

  # pstree
  systemd-+-bash---pstree
          |-recovery-menu---network---systemctl---systemd-tty-ask
          |-systemd-journal

  # ps
  root 486 473 0 08:29 tty1 00:00:00 /bin/systemd-tty-ask-password-agent

  root 473 486 0 08:29 tty1 00:00:00 systemctl start dbus.socket

  root 486 283 0 08:29 tty1 00:00:00 /bin/sh /lib/recovery-
  mode/options/network

  Additionally,

  systemd-analyze blame:
  "Bootup is not yet finished. Please try again later"

  "systemctl list-jobs" is showing a 100 jobs in 'waiting' state

  The only 'running' unit is friendly-recovery.service :
  52 friendly-recovery.service                 start running

  The rest are all "waiting". My understanding is that "waiting" units
  will be executed only after those which are "running" are completed.
  Which explain why the "ctlr-c" allow the boot to continue.

  All the systemd special unit important at boot-up are waiting.
  7 sysinit.target                 start waiting
  3 basic.target                   start waiting

  Seems like systemd is not fully initialise in 'Recovery Mode' and
  doesn't allow any 'systemctl start' operation without
  password/passphrase request, which I suspect is hidden by the recovery-
  mode menu.

[...]

instances, ...  I think it's more important to have a network working in
friendly-recovery than being able to resume it at the moment. The tradeoff is
worth it IMHO.
+ * All other options works fine as expected.

[...]

  'Enable Network' in recovery mode not working properly.

Status in friendly-recovery package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in friendly-recovery source package in Xenial:
  In Progress
Status in systemd source package in Xenial:
  Won't Fix
Status in friendly-recovery source package in Bionic:
  In Progress
Status in systemd source package in Bionic:
  Won't Fix
Status in friendly-recovery source package in Cosmic:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd source package in Cosmic:
  Won't Fix
Status in friendly-recovery source package in DD-Series:
  Invalid
Status in systemd source package in DD-Series:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
[...]

  * Cosmic has the same changes already in place.