Could you check your MTA's log files (and /var/log/cron.*, if you have
it) for clues as to what could be going on? I just tried this locally
and it works fine: both mails are sent, and the MAILTO header is
included.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to cron in Ubuntu.

  "MAILTO" Environment Variable is ignored when set in a file in
  /etc/cron.d/

Status in “cron” package in Ubuntu:

  I have a cron job definition file with the following:
  ----------------
  # Runs every 5 minutes, logging into the proftpd database checking for
expired accounts and disabling them.
  MAILTO=sysadmin@[redacted].com,io@[redacted].com
  */5 *   * * *   root            /usr/local/sbin/proftpd-expire.sh

  Any output from the script ought to be emailed to both the sysadmin & io
group addresses, but instead output is always sent to 'root@[local FQDN]',
presumably becasue the cron job is being executed as root. For some reason, the
MAILTO environment variable is being ignored, as can be confirmed when looking
at the email (sent to root) for all the "X-cron-env" headers: