> Does that somehow mean that your problem doesn't occur if you use only
the upstream source code and no distribution patches? If so, how?

Good question. I have cloned the git version of OpenSSH for disco-
proposed. When I compile this version of the code, the privilege
separation directory is defined as "/var/empty" which would solve the
problem. However, the installed version 18.04.2 LTS (bionic), has it
defined as /run/sshd. The man pages for disco-proposed indicate that the
privilege separation directory is at /run/sshd.

So, which git repository should I use to get the Ubuntu 18.04.2 (LTS) /
OpenSSH 7.6p1 should I use?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openssh in Ubuntu.

  Resource Sharing with multiple sshd services

Status in openssh package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Ubuntu: 18.04.2 LTS
  OpenSSH: 7.6p1

  I am having a problem starting multiple sshd processes. The default
  location of the sshd privilege separation directory is hard-coded to
  /run/sshd (see man page). If I want to have 2 sshd services using
  systemd, I need to write 2 service files, let's call them
  sshd_wan.service ans sshd_lan.service. Both of these services need to
  have their own "RuntimeDirectory=sshd_wan" and
  "RuntimeDirectory=sshd_lan". If you do not have separate
  RuntimeDirectory definitions for the 2 services, then when one service
  is killed/faults/restarts/stops/etc. the systemd (or init) process
  deletes the RuntimeDirectory and causes the other service to crash
  since a RuntimeDirectory does not exist.

  The problem is the hard-coding of the sshd Privilege Separation
  Directory. We need to modify the OpenBSD/OpenSSH sshd code to
  provision command line assignment of the privilege separation
  directory.

  I have attempted to contact the OpenSSH team (i.e. OpenSSH.com) and
  they say it is a Ubuntu problem. I reported this in Ubuntu bug
  #1831765 and Ubuntu (e.g. Paride Legovini, June 6, 2019 @ 2:55AM PDT)
  rejected it because I described the problem using the init.d example.

  I know how to modify the sshd.c file in OpenSSH 7.6p1, the problem is
  getting Ubuntu and OpenSSH to admit there is a problem and it needs to
  be fixed.

  The problem is still there regardless if you are using Upstart (i.e.
  init.d) or systemd.