I found a mailing list post which mentioned this, but no replies:

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/avahi/2010-March/001863.html

It actually causes problems for Pidgin in certain circumstances, see bug
#1841621.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to avahi in Ubuntu.

  Cannot broadcast both on global and link address on same interface

Status in Avahi:
  Unknown
Status in avahi package in Ubuntu:

  Avahi seems to be hardwired to not over any link-local addresses on an
  interface, if there also exists a global (non-link-local) address on
  the same interface. Unfortunately I have need for this feature.

  I patched the source accordingly myself, creating a new config option
  'publish-local-always' to enable that behavior. It's actually I
  minimal change, and I would be pleased, if you could integrate it (or
  something similar). You can find my patch in the attachment below.