Part of the reason this behavior exists in Avahi is that many
applications do not correctly retrieve the scope ID (interface index)
when doing hostname resolution, and if not supplied then connection to
such a link local address will fail. Applications are likely to receive
such an address at random.

Also until very recently nss-mdns didn't actually support passing
through that scope ID, though it now does in the latest versions.

So changing Avahi to always return these link local IPs is much more
likely to break pretty much every other application except Pidgin. To my
mind what Pidgin should do to resolve this issue is to explicitly either
not block based on the incoming IP address, or, bind explicitly to the
IP address that is being advertised to prevent the connection being
sourced from the link local address.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to avahi in Ubuntu.

  Cannot broadcast both on global and link address on same interface

Status in Avahi:
  Unknown
Status in avahi package in Ubuntu:

  Avahi seems to be hardwired to not over any link-local addresses on an
  interface, if there also exists a global (non-link-local) address on
  the same interface. Unfortunately I have need for this feature.

  I patched the source accordingly myself, creating a new config option
  'publish-local-always' to enable that behavior. It's actually I
  minimal change, and I would be pleased, if you could integrate it (or
  something similar). You can find my patch in the attachment below.