This release of Ubuntu is no longer receiving maintenance updates. If
this is still an issue on a maintained version of Ubuntu please let us
know.

** Changed in: alsa-driver (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  Rampant audio corruption

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  Running Ubuntu 10.10 - normal update repo

  The audio on my system randomly stutters while playing back files of any
format. I can't seem to isolate this behaviour - it seems to vary from instance
to instance of pulseaudio, although when it starts it continues to get worse
until no sound from the system is recognisable at all. The error logged below
is easily reproducible by playing multiple audio/video files at once, although
it often occurs whilst playing only a single file. Changing settings (5.1
surround, stereo, stereo duplex, etc) has no effect on the behaviour. Also, the
pulseaudio log identifies my audio controller as "HDA Intel", but I know for a
fact that it's a "Realtek ALC892". I have not had the chance to attempt to
reproduce this on Narwhal or earlier versions, but I will soon.
  Pulseaudio error logs:

  E: alsa-sink.c: ALSA woke us up to write new data to the device, but there
was actually nothing to write!
  E: alsa-sink.c: Most likely this is a bug in the ALSA driver 'snd_hda_intel'.
Please report this issue to the ALSA developers.
  E: alsa-sink.c: We were woken up with POLLOUT set -- however a subsequent
snd_pcm_avail() returned 0 or another value < min_avail.
  W: ratelimit.c: 2916 events suppressed
  W: ratelimit.c: 3133 events suppressed
  W: ratelimit.c: 3071 events suppressed
  W: ratelimit.c: 3093 events suppressed
  [...ad nauseum]
  # lspci -vvv
  [...]
  00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
[1002:4383] (rev 40)
        Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device a102
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
        Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel