Mika, I can confirm, oddly it helped renaming
/usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-guest-wrapper.conf to
/usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-guest-wrapper.conf.bak.
I am using 20.04 now.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Will not logout or shutdown from guest-session

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in xfce4-session package in Ubuntu:

  This is in Xubuntu 19.10, a regression from 18.04. xfce4-session
  4.14.0-0ubuntu1. I enabled guest-session and logged in that. But there
  I can not log out or even shut down using the graphical way at least
  unless put Action Buttons on the panel and choose Switch User. If I
  run "xfce4-session-logout -l" I get error dialog saying:

  Received error while trying to log out

  GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs:Type of message,
  "(yb)", does not match expected type"(b)"

  And in standard output there is: "Received error while trying to log
  out, error was GDBus.Error:org.xfce.SessionManager.Error.Failed:
  Session manager must be in idle state when requesting a shutdown"