Public bug reported:

We very often tell our hardware partners to "file a bug" when they
encounter issues.  This requires them to run apport-collect to gather
and submit logs for the bug.

However, very often, the hardware that has the problem is in a lab that
has tight security restrictions and direct access to launchpad is
blocked.  This makes it nearly impossible for them to gather any
requested logs, since apport-collect requires a direct line to
Launchpad.

apport-collect needs to adopt the --save feature of apport-bug/ubuntu-
bug to save the prescribed logs and system data in a tarball that can
then be attached to a bug after the fact.

Package: apport 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.23
NonfreeKernelModules: lkp_Ubuntu_5_4_0_100_113_generic_85 zfs zunicode zavl icp
nvidia_modeset zcommon znvpair nvidia
ApportLog:

ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.23
Architecture: amd64
CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
Date: Tue Apr 19 10:25:54 2022
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Alpha amd64 (20160210)
PackageArchitecture: all
SourcePackage: apport

** Affects: apport (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug focal

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apport in Ubuntu.

  apport-collect needs to be able to save logs to a file instead of
  requiring a launchpad connection

Status in apport package in Ubuntu:

  Date: Tue Apr 19 10:25:54 2022