>If direct access to Launchpad is blocked how was a bug report filed in
the first place?

Clicking the "Report a Bug" link on any project's page in LP.  This is
done from a machine outside of the airgapped or restricted access lab
where the hardware sits.

Also, I should point out (which I mentioned originally) that one can,
and I'll also start suggesting they do this, use --save with ubuntu-bug
to create a bug report that can be submitted later from a different
machine.

I'm just asking to have apport-collect also feature this...

Perhaps the solution since, as you pointed out, apport needs to read the
bug to know which package to collect files for, is to require the
package as part of the commmand... e.g.

apport-collect --save=/path/to/filename --package=$PACKAGE $BUG_NUMBER

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apport in Ubuntu.

  apport-collect needs to be able to save logs to a file instead of
  requiring a launchpad connection

Status in apport package in Ubuntu:

  We very often tell our hardware partners to "file a bug" when they
  encounter issues.  This requires them to run apport-collect to gather
  and submit logs for the bug.

  However, very often, the hardware that has the problem is in a lab
  that has tight security restrictions and direct access to launchpad is
  blocked.  This makes it nearly impossible for them to gather any
  requested logs, since apport-collect requires a direct line to
  Launchpad.

  apport-collect needs to adopt the --save feature of apport-bug/ubuntu-
  bug to save the prescribed logs and system data in a tarball that can
  then be attached to a bug after the fact.

  Package: apport 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.23
  NonfreeKernelModules: lkp_Ubuntu_5_4_0_100_113_generic_85 zfs zunicode zavl
icp nvidia_modeset zcommon znvpair nvidia
  ApportLog:

  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.23
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue Apr 19 10:25:54 2022
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Alpha amd64 (20160210)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: apport