I would point to the new ubuntu-desktop-installer directly but it isn't
listed here. I don't care where in that stack it is done. Gnome has all
but refused to address this. A post-install or live preinstall hook
fixes this. Both linked packages contain one or both of these features
as listed in their documentation.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gsettings-desktop-schemas/-/issues/30
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/-/issues/2575
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gsettings-desktop-schemas/-/merge_requests/55
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/-/merge_requests/2422

If it can be handled by simple gsettings or locale defaults, it should
be done until a better fix comes along. It is an option to click on that
should be the default by any official consumer or commercial standard in
the USA.

I don't think this should require justification in 2023.

** Bug watch added: gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/-/issues #2575
   https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/-/issues/2575

** No longer affects: curtain (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: curtin (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gsettings-desktop-schemas
in Ubuntu.

  Time for the US is shown in 24h format. It should be 12h with AM/PM

Status in GSettings Desktop Schemas:
  New
Status in curtin package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in gsettings-desktop-schemas package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in subiquity package in Ubuntu:

  Source- https://time.gov/