As another try, I tried to disable the apparmor profile by
  cd /etc/apparmor.d/disable
  ln -s ./../usr.sbin.clamd
as described by Thomas above. Unexpectedly, that did not get rid of the message
"ERROR: initgroups() failed".
I found I had a file "usr.sbin(Kopie).clamd" in that folder; this file was a
backup of the original, and got used by apparmor (went into the cache folder).
After removing this backup copy (and reload apparmor) clamd could start.

Next try: use the original usr.sbin.clamd and add "capability setgid," as
recommended by Christian above.
After reload apparmor and restart clamd I got "ERROR: Failed to change socket
ownership to group clamav Closing the main socket."
But at system restart clamd started without error.
So, it was the backup file in /etc/apparmor.d which caused the trouble.
Maybe, I will gradually find out how to get on-access scan working.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apparmor in Ubuntu.

  apparmor profile usr.sbin.clamd does not allow ScanOnAccess via
  fanotify

Status in apparmor package in Ubuntu:

  I tried to enable the ScanOnAccess option in /etc/clamav.conf to get
  on-access scanning.

  Doing so, /var/log/clamav/clamav.log tells me:
  ERROR: ScanOnAccess: fanotify_init failed: Operation not permitted
  ScanOnAccess: clamd must be started by root

  Setting User to root in /etc/clamav/clamd.conf
  makes the clamav-daemon to fail with

  service clamav-daemon start
   * Starting ClamAV daemon clamd
  ERROR: initgroups() failed.

  I had to disable the apparmor.profile with a
  cd /etc/apparmor.d/disable
  ln -s ./../usr.sbin.clamd

  Then, the "ERROR: initgroups() failed." disappears.

  The apparmor itself came via apt-get packages. I did not edit it.

  Release:      14.04

  apt-cache policy apparmor-profiles
  apparmor-profiles:
    Installiert:           (keine)
    Installationskandidat: 2.8.95~2430-0ubuntu5.1
    Versionstabelle:
       2.8.95~2430-0ubuntu5.1 0
          500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main amd64
Packages
          500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/main amd64
Packages
       2.8.95~2430-0ubuntu5 0
          500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages

  Package: apparmor-profiles (not installed)
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-43.72-generic 3.13.11.11
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-43-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.6
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Mon Dec 22 01:23:04 2014
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20140722.2)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=de_DE
   TERM=xterm