The Phone app does need to handle cases that software can't, like
ejecting the SIM or going out of range. But entering Flight Mode is
something you do interactively, so likely mistakes should be handled
interactively. And this exact case has been in the "Flight Mode" section
of the Networking spec since April 2014.
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Networking?action=diff&rev2=165&rev1=164>

(If the design is inappropriate, then let's change it, but that doesn't
seem to be the issue here. If there's anything I can do to make it
easier or more fun for engineers to ask "I wonder what the spec says
about this?", please let me know.)

** Description changed:

  As I described here
  https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-phone/msg12177.html
  I accidentally switched the phone to the airplane mode while having an active
incoming call. As a result it is impossible to end a call - the red button does
not end the call.

  The bug is easy to reproduce:
  1. Make a call to your Ubuntu phone and answer it.
  2. Switch on 'airplane mode'
  3. As a result you get unusable phone.

  Of course switching gsm off while having an active call is not a typical
  use of the phone, but still the phone should react to this situation
  differently.

  Another thing is that I somehow switched gsm off while holding my phone
  to my ear (which may suggest some issue with the top panel) - but I
  don't know how to reproduce this, hence currently I treat this as an
  very unfortunate accident.

  Workaround for ending the call: make another incoming call to your
  phone.

  BQ (r21)
+
+ <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Networking#flight-mode>: "When you turn on
+ Flight Mode: 1. If a phone or Voip call is in progress, an alert should
+ appear, “Turning on Flight Mode will end your call.”, with buttons
+ “Cancel” and “End Call”. The alert should close automatically if the
+ call finishes by itself."

** Changed in: indicator-network (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to dialer-app in Ubuntu.

  Impossible to end a call after switching to airplane mode

Status in the base for Ubuntu mobile products:
  In Progress
Status in Telephony Service:
  New
Status in dialer-app package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in indicator-network package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in ofono package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description: