I fetched the debug log using the debug console, however it's contents
do not look suspicious to me...

systemd seems to try to start the cryptsetup service, the only question
probably is where the password prompt does end up...

** Attachment added: "systemd jounal fetched using debug console."

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+bug/1453912/+attachment/4416839/+files/journal.txt

  systemd does not allow to boot with /home on dm-crypt

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  Since upgrading from version 14.10 to Kubuntu 15.04, my system does
  not boot normally any more.

  Maybe it's only a stupid oversight on my part, but not being a systemd
  pro, I'm currently at a loss of how to debug this any further.

  Hints and pointers to appropriate documentation are welcome!

  Kubuntu 15.04 quickly boots to a specific point where it seems to try
  to enable a dm-crypt partition which also carries /home, beside other
  data, and simply stalls.

  I'm not asked to enter my crytpdisk password and I also cannot enter
  it blindly without being asked.

  You can see the point where it stalls in the attached "screenshot"
  (photo of my screen).

  I can then press Ctrl+Alt+Del to cleanly restart the system but I
  could not find a way to get beyond this point with systemd.

  Using the alternative boot option with upstart works flawlessly.
  (Although booting with this boot option is really slow and it takes a
  while to reach the graphical login screen - it basically looks as if
  the system is waiting for some name resolving timeouts during boot,
  but that's a different issue, if've not debugged it further and maybe
  it's just gone once systemd works to boot my machine.)

  Further info about my setup:

  $ cat /etc/crypttab

  crypt /dev/mapper/main-cryptstore none luks,noearly,discard

  $ mount | egrep crypt
  /dev/mapper/crypt on /mnt/crypt type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
  /dev/mapper/crypt on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
  /dev/mapper/crypt on /var/lib/mysql type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)

  Here the first entry is the actual mount point while the other mount
  points are bind mounts:

  $ cat /etc/fstab | egrep crypt
  /dev/mapper/crypt       /mnt/crypt      ext4    defaults        0       2

  /mnt/crypt/home                 /home           none    bind    0       0

  /mnt/crypt/var_lib_mysql        /var/lib/mysql  none    bind    0       0

  Package: systemd 219-7ubuntu4
  ApportVersion: 2.17.2-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: KDE