Even simpler: I've attached a Mir branch that replicates the problem
(-e5) using just Mir demos. Unfortunately that doesn't relieve SDL from
owning the solution to this bug. Because even if Mir added support for
16 bpp formats, SDL would still need to be changed to use it.

I suggest in the shorter term SDL can solve the problem by simply choosing a
Mir-compatible EGL config in requesting a minimum of 8 bits per channel:
        EGL_RED_SIZE, 8,
        EGL_GREEN_SIZE, 8,
        EGL_BLUE_SIZE, 8,

But feel free to shame Mir for failing to provide stronger API
guarantees that the EGL config actually matches the pixel format in use.

** Changed in: mir
    Milestone: 0.15.0 => None

** Changed in: mir

** Changed in: mir (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to mir in Ubuntu.

  Visible corruption in SDL apps (Neverball, Neverputt) on Nexus 4 /
  Nexus 7.

Status in Mir:
  Invalid
Status in libsdl2 package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in mir package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  https://github.com/pseuudonym404/neverball-touch/issues/2

  Install neverball or neverputt from the click store:-

  https://uappexplorer.com/app/neverputt.lb
  https://uappexplorer.com/app/neverball.lb

  Note they work fine on krillin and arale, however there's corruption
  making the games unusable on Nexus 4 and Nexus 7.

  Simpler test cases are provided at the above linked github issue.
  Attaching them to this bug for persistence.