Timo, looks like I never actually explained what's going on behind the
scenes in this bug.  There are two things going on in your workflow:

1) ubuntu-device-flash treats the --password argument as a passphrase
always.  Ideally it would inspect and see if it looks like a PIN, then
set it as such.

2) The wizard can't override an existing password for the user.  Ideally
if a password was already set, those pages would be skipped or grayed
out or something.

So that's two poor usability issues combining to be confusing when
flashing with --password.  But it's not a bug normal users see, just
developers.  I'd argue both could/should be fixed.  But they just
haven't been a priority.

** Summary changed:

- [wizard] 4-digit passcode code gets set incorrectly as "passphrase" on first
run
+ [wizard] 4-digit passcode code gets set incorrectly as "passphrase" on first
run when flashing with --password

  [wizard] 4-digit passcode code gets set incorrectly as "passphrase" on
  first run when flashing with --password

Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  After setting the 4-digit passcode on the first run, the user
  encounters she needs to type the passcode with the normal qwerty
  keyboard instead every time when unlocking the phone, instead of the
  easy passcode entering.

  Reproduced once again after flashing my mako with --bootstrap from
  mako rtm 120 (=krillin rtm 143).

  Workaround: go to Lock security settings, change to 4-digit passcode
  manually.