Maybe some explanation as to exactly what I did to the Ubuntu Unity settings
might help.  In the Online Account settings, it lists access by Ubuntu to the
following Google online accounts for these apps:
Evolution Data Server (if Evolution is installed) for Contacts, for Calendar
and for Gmail.  I removed all three.
It also added access by these apps:
Shotwell
Photo Search Plugin
Google Drive Search plugin

The last three are installed and activated by default.  I'm finding
Google very intrusive in the way it is using my personal data to sell to
advertisers, and to give me heavily targeted advertising.  I thought I
could get away with it in Ubuntu - at the moment, in 15.10, the answer
seems to be 'no way'.  I do, however still want to access Google
Contacts, via the slightly buggy but useable google-contacts app
installed by default (I think) in Wily - but that's all.  I'd like to
have Thunderbird address book sync with these contacts, but I have to do
that manually at the moment.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  Unity dash fails to show applications

Status in unity package in Ubuntu:

  Immediately after removing interaction with all Google accounts
  (settings->online accounts), the Unity dash no longer showed any
  applications, only files recently accessed.  The launcher sidebar is
  unaffected, and the dash appears as normal but without access to
  applications.  I re-instated all the default online account setting
  with no effect even after re-booting.  I found in an Ubuntu wiki, a
  workaround for the same problem in 15.04, but this is not longer
  useable, as the '--reset' Unity commandline parameter, which was
  required, has now been removed.  So far, I can't find where this
  information is stored, and there is no useful item to edit in the
  Unity plugin as seen in cssm.  I am willing to try anything suggested
  and report.

  Package: unity 7.3.2+15.10.20150627.1-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.18-0ubuntu7
  Architecture: amd64
  CompizPlugins: No value set for
`/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'
  CurrentDesktop: Unity