It's been pointed out to me that Wily does not integrate anything Google
by default.  Checking back, I set up the Google account in my Online
Accounts, when I installed evolution, so I could import my google
contacts.

Google contacts don't export in a format which the Thunderbird address-
book can use, and the recommended method I found on the Ubuntu wiki
seems to be to install evolution.

This must have been where the problem began - although I had assumed
Google account integration was a Wily default.  My bad!

It still represents a Unity problem when they are removed though, so
I'll add this information to the bug.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  Unity dash fails to show applications

Status in unity package in Ubuntu:

  Immediately after removing interaction with all Google accounts
  (settings->online accounts), the Unity dash no longer showed any
  applications, only files recently accessed.  The launcher sidebar is
  unaffected, and the dash appears as normal but without access to
  applications.  I re-instated all the default online account setting
  with no effect even after re-booting.  I found in an Ubuntu wiki, a
  workaround for the same problem in 15.04, but this is not longer
  useable, as the '--reset' Unity commandline parameter, which was
  required, has now been removed.  So far, I can't find where this
  information is stored, and there is no useful item to edit in the
  Unity plugin as seen in cssm.  I am willing to try anything suggested
  and report.

  Package: unity 7.3.2+15.10.20150627.1-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.18-0ubuntu7
  Architecture: amd64
  CompizPlugins: No value set for
`/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'
  CurrentDesktop: Unity