I use the Touch with attached HDD mostly on weekends and holidays so I
eject the HDD but leave the Touch running on mysqueezebox.com to listen
to internet radio.  Once its attached I usually leave it connected for a
few days.

To re-attach the drive I first start TinySC and when it asks for a USB
or SD card I attach the drive.  Re-scan doesn't take very long after
the initial full scan.  Sometimes it's a hit and miss situation, at
times I have to reboot the Touch before re-attaching the drive.  It
just takes a little patience but it works for me.

--
carib