Phil Leigh;616878 Wrote:
> I didn't say that!
>
> For sure there will be groupings of cases. For example, users of the
> Benchmark DAC's  report that these DAC's appear relatively impervious
> to what's happening around them, whereas some other DAC's appear much
> more sensitive to Transports, cables etc...

The Benchmark (which is using Centrance USB code, same as Empirical
Audio and some others) is not immune. Not any of the other asynch USB
DACs is immune either. (Check out AA. All DACs running Wavelength
"Streamlength" asynch USB show differences on slightest PC
optimizations with e.g. Amarra, Pure Music)

Galvanical isolations, which is IMO a must,  you won't find on many USB
dacs. There's only one USB DAC I know which has a galvanical isolation
in place, the Ayre QB-9. SPDIF transformer based galvanic isolations
are more widely spread.

To be honest I havn't found any "direct path" DAC yet, which is immune
against incoming distortions from a transport such as PC or Touch or
whatever. It needs a very intelligent jitter supression on the DAC side

to cope with an incoming asynchrounus stream.

If you go to a dealer or to a show to listen to a  fancy DAC. If you
see  the guy in charge is firing up Amarra or Pure music or similar
"audiophile" players to make the DAC sound best. You know this shown
DAC is not immune.

A different thing is if you feed e.g. complex DSPs, like you do ( or
did) for  e.g. running convolution, crossovers asf. Those
innstallations manage
to decouple the incoming stream almost 100% and suppress pretty much
all distortions. In this case the audio transfer can be regarded as
data transfer. It's no longer a realtime audio-stream.

Another thing is if you use a good reclocker.
E.g. an Appogee Big Ben in the line decouples quite well from the
source.

Again. Most asynchronous solutions, where the DAC clock is not the same
as the source/transport clock do have issues. Of course some DACs can
cope better with those distortions then others.

As soon as I find an affordable DAC which is 100% immune against source
originated distortions I can and will forget about my little Touch
Toolbox project.

--
soundcheck

'soundcheck's Touch Toolbox 2.0'