soundcheck wrote:

> BTW. Why do you call your devices Audio (formerly TXRX or similar)
> instead of default hw:0,0? If you pass asound.conf by there's no need to
> introduce new aliases IMO.

It just uses the card name parsed from /proc/asound/cards so that it can
bypass asound.conf as I want it to be able to detect new usb DACs which
will come up with different names and will also potentially be different
card numbers depending on when the dac is connected in the boot cycle.
The name of the device is whatever the dac manufacturer gave it for usb
or the name in the kernel driver for TXRX.

There's an annoying bug in the built in device kernel drivers which
means that usb support needs to be started before the built in cards -
the consequence of this is that with usb device attached it moves the
built in card ids and so everything changes...  (you can end up getting
the effects output on the main output for example).  Hence want to move
to named cards.  Note the applet takes advantage of using an invalid
device id for the effects output to essentially turn this off as the
process will die itself.