OK, I think I have found my problem. Or maybe the solution.......

I run a more complicated network than most. I have 4 routers, 2 switches
and over 30 devices on my Home network.

I run LMS on my Desktop upstairs in my house and my music room is
downstairs. I control LMS via my Laptop downstairs.

When using web control for my Laptop the address is "Desktop-Den:9000"
and this resolves "Desktop-Den" into an IP address.
Today I tried keying in the IP Address directly "192.168.1.16:9000" and
my metadata is now changing just fine.

Thanks everyone for your help! As soon as I knew everyone else's was
working, it led me to suspect my network.