Hi there. Came across this thread when the enable spotify message came
up randomly for me. Took me ages to realise I was doing everything
correctly and enabling the app but still the message continued to appear
and spotify wouldn't work.

My mistake was putting the first character of my spotify username as a
capital in mysqueezebox ..looked like it was working but obviously
wasn't... lowercase and all worked perfectly.

Sometimes the simple answers are missed so might help someone else out
there get to the solution quicker than I did ;-)