mrdo23 wrote:
> hi there,
>
> sorry to hijack your thread but am i right in saying that you decided to
> stick with your pc? do you have any idea how much power it consumes at
> all?
>
> can anyone suggest which would be the most performant of these
> solutions? i've tried migrating from my full PC setup with everything
> running locally to a raspberry pi 3 and storage on an ancient readynas
> duo v1. everything seems to work fine albeit slowly with the exception
> of my favourite playlist which is approx. 6000 tracks.
>
> because of the way that lms handles playlists, the pi tries to load and
> verify all 6000 tracks which it cannot currently handle at all.
>
> the massive spike in cpu load suggests that the ram is the bottleneck
> rather than slow storage.
>
> would an upgrade to a newer nas help? the other option is to run lms
> directly on something like the synology ds218play (i'm not sure i can
> stretch to the 4 bay version) although this only has 1gig of ram like
> the pi.
>
> thanks in advance!

How are you accessing the NAS?
I use a RasPi3, running LMS on piCorePlayer, and have my NAS set up as a
mount.
The only delay I have accessing my FLAC library is when I first access
the library, as it takes a few seconds for the NAS to spin up from its
WOL slumber. Beyond that it's very quick.

That said, my listening habits tend to be play a full album to the end,
then play another full album from start to finish. It's what I did with
LPs when I was in my teens in the 1970s, and the habit persists.
I don't have any playlists.

Chris :)