I have tried to enable the old access point, but that didn't change
anything. Actually I don't think it's anything wrong the WiFi
environment as all the other things that are attached to it works well.
Some 30 devices ranging from clients to various other and  IOT things,
including 3 SB Radios and 4 squeezelite-ESP32.

I did connect the touch via ethernet and used ssh to log in to it. When
i tried to start the wlan interface via the init script it inserts the
module '/lib/modules/2.6.26.8-rt16-332-g5849bfa/sd8686.ko' but then it
doesn't seem to find the hardware. Maybe there really is a hardware
failure but it seems a bit unlikely that so many people are affected.

Here's how it looks when I try to start the wlan interface (MAC
obscured):

Code:
--------------------
    # /etc/init.d/wlan start
  root: Starting wlan
  Setting wlan0 ethaddr: 00:04:20:nn:nn:nn
  ifconfig: SIOCSIFHWADDR: No such device
  Setting region: 16
  wlan0     no private ioctls.

  ioctl[SIOCGIWPRIV]: No such device
  ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: No such device
  ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: No such device
  Could not configure driver to use managed mode
  ioctl[SIOCGIFFLAGS]: No such device
  Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
  ioctl[SIOCGIWRANGE]: No such device
  ioctl[SIOCGIFINDEX]: No such device
  marvell ioctl: No such device
  marvell ioctl: No such device
  marvell ioctl: No such device
  marvell ioctl: No such device
  marvell ioctl: No such device
  ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: No such device
  Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
  root: wlan started