I did some further investigations, looking at the module that interfaces
the hardware to the os,
/lib/modules/2.6.26.8-rt16-332-g5849bfa/sd8686.ko it shows a size of
2038303 bytes. I googled around and managed to find another forum
showing the size and there it was different, 2039023 bytes. That could
maybe be a indication that this file is corrupted, but that seems
unlikely as I suppose it is replaced when a new fw is loaded and that it
load without complaints.

Maybe it's so simple that some substandard component are used and that
manifests it now on devices that has been powered for a long time.