On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 10:20 AM Rob Landley <r...@landley.net> wrote:

> On 10/05/2018 05:25 PM, enh wrote:

> >> Yup.

> >> The default is "/" if you just go "getconf -a".
> >
> > weird. that seems far less useful than '.'.
>
> I think it's trying to give you VFS statistics? (Wild guess. No guarantee /
> isn't crazy either, of course.)
>
> > (i'm not really sure how `getconf -a` is even useful. looks like it's
> > meant for interactive use when you don't know what a thing's called.
> > so you do `getconf -a | grep -i uucp` or whatever.)
>
> Snapshotting a system's stats and comparing with another system, I think. (My
> own test case above was diff -u of two outputs.)

> >> I didn't. I dunno what success look like here either. (And too busy at
> >> work to
> >> think much about it until now.)
> >
> > the BSD getconf seems less stupid: `getconf -a` shows you the non-path
> > stuff, `getconf -a PATH` shows you just the path stuff. sounds
> > reasonable?
>
> *shrug* I'm happy to be led here.

since i don't really care either, i've sent you patch that copies the
FSF behavior of assuming "/" if no path is supplied. i personally
think the BSD behavior is more sensible, but since we _are_ aiming to
replace various Linux tools not _aren't_ targeting BSD, i'm assuming
that the FSF behavior is more likely to be useful to our target
audience.