On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 9:28 PM Rob Landley <r...@landley.net> wrote:
> On 5/13/20 1:25 AM, Patrick Oppenlander wrote:
> > On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 12:17 PM Rob Landley <r...@landley.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Release notes on the website.
> >>
> >> Rob
> >>
> >> P.S. I wrote up a long elaborate email about it to send here, but
> >> unplugged my
> >> laptop due to thunderstorm and then wandered away from it long enough for
> >> the
> >> battery to die. Alas thunderbird does not save unsent messages the way
> >> kmail,
> >> vi, and chrome do. Oh well.
> >
> > Great work, thanks!
> >
> > I did a run of "make root LINUX=../linux" which did lots of things and
> > then barfed with:
> >
> > === root.cpio.gz
> > cpio: --no-preserve-owner is meaningless with --create
> > Try 'cpio --help' or 'cpio --usage' for more information.
>
> Sigh, I saw it was doing that but thought it was just a warning, not an error.
> Committed a workaround, try now?
>
> In any case, you should still be able to chroot into the fs dir. I just wrote
> up
> instructions:
>
>   https://landley.net/toybox/faq.html#mkroot

Thanks.

That works for:

% make root LINUX=../linux

I alread have a bunch of cross compilers installed & in my path:

% ls -1 /opt/cross
aarch64-linux-musleabi
armv7m-linux-musleabi
armv7m-linux-musleabihf
arm-cdd-linux-musleabi
arm-linux-musleabi
arm-none-eabi
arm_cortex_m0-eabi-newlib
m32c-elf
m68k-elf
powerpc-eabispe
x86_64-linux-musl

So I tried

% make root CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-musleabi- LINUX=../linux

Which fails with "Unknown $TARGET"

OK, maybe

% make root TARGET=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-musleabi- LINUX=../linux

That fails with "cp: bad 'toybox': No such file or directory"

Maybe I should read the script.. OK, looks like TARGET should be
armv7l in this case

% make root TARGET=armv7l CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-musleabi- LINUX=../linux

Nope, same problem.

OK I think what's happening is that the TARGET variable is leaking
into make.sh which then generates toybox-$TARGET which mkroot.sh
doesn't expect?

Patrick