> The url to be given there is the same url you would use when accessing
> the root of your trac installation with a browser. trac-wiki appends
> "/xmlrpc" itself.

ah, ok, thanks. it sounds as if my mistake was assuming that i need to
specify an actual file (with its correct file extension) in the
directory (eg., index.html, or index.wiki, or etc.)

> Make sure that you have a trac user with XML_RPC rights.

actually this is another issue that is a bit confusing. this portion
of the trac-wiki instructions makes it sound as if i need to add the
*action* XML_RPC to the (existing) "authenticated " *subject*

in other words, i already have an "authenticated" subject -- but it is
not clear how to create/add new actions to associate with it. the web
interface seems to allow only the use of actions already appearing on
the pull-down menu -- and i have not been able to find documentation
for how to create new actions by editing (a trac.ini ?) file directly.

how/where is this done?