I will respond to the TracHours side of thing, since I'm partially responsible
for it.  TracHours was designed to meet the specs of one of our staff (a
project manager, for lack of a better term) who didn't like certain features of
TAEP.  Namely, he wanted:

 * no addition to ticket comments when hours were added (save when hours were
added with a message)
 * ability to edit hours instead of adding negative hours
 * ability to add hours as someone else with sufficient permission
 * ability to add hours on dates other than today
 * ability to query hours across (local) trac instances
 * ability to build reports (queries, really) for people's hours

So those are the motivating factors.  TAEP is certainly more mature and has
many more features, both built in and built as extensions, but I can't speak to
it more than that (I'm a mere developer, no project manager me).  We're using
TracHours in house now, though honestly I don't know how heavily.

Jeff Hammel
The Open Planning Project
http://topp.openplans.org
IRC: jhammel, k0s