On Nov 23, 7:26 am, "Chris Nelson" <chris.nel...@sixnet.com> wrote:
> Nir Ben Eliezer wrote:
> > Any chance someone has an answer for this issue?
> >    I have a short question about creating custom fields in tickets.
>
> >    I need the option to create a "Sub-Component" drop down menu.
> This
> > field should be dependent on the component which the user chose. For
> > example, choosing "component1" will result in the appearance of
> > "sub-component1" and "sub-component2" in the "Sub-Component" drop
> > down menu. Choosing other components may result in the appearance of
> > other sub components.
>
> >    Is this possible to implement? I couldn't find any easy
> > configuration which enables this important option.
>
> We accomplished this by having compound components like "main/part1",
> "main/part2", etc. and adding some JavaScript to the ticket handling
> which parses on /, presents just the first part, and adds and populates
> a second list box if the item selected in the first part has
> subcomponents.  Trac still thinks that there's only one component field
> (in the db) but users can select subcomponents when creating or updating
> tickets.

well, you should of started a new thread rather than hijack this one
for best results, however...
a better way to accomplish this may be to not use components.  Keep
your components higher level, like "Software" "Documentation"
"Hardware"

and use the following plugin:
http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TracTicketChainedFieldsPlugin

seems  like what you are really after