It seems that my case is somewhat different. My Trac installation is
under the same directory (/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages), but my
egg is a file, not a directory. I did try to unzip it, update the
messages.mo file and replace the original egg file, but also no
success. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

That should have worked. Did you restart the webserver? Also, I'm not familiar with translations - is the .mo an input file which needs to be byte-compiled to some output object?

I also suspect that you might be able to get away with unzipping the egg into a directory named the same as the egg. Then you should be able to just drop the file in..

I think... ;-)

--
SIXNET - Industrial and Wireless Connectivity
331 Ushers Road, Ballston Lake, NY 12019