Quoting "Dan North" <d...@dannorth.net>:
Does this seem like a sensible use of Trac or should I be considering
something else entirely to manage helpdesk ticket lifecycle?

In my company we have one instance of Trac as the help desk system.

Pros:
 - we use other Trac instances for development, no need for yet
   another system for help desk
 - integration of tickets and wiki is very useful, e.g. typical
   customer
   problems and solutions can be described in wiki pages
 - email2trac creates tickets automatically and appends to tickets
 - Trac has with its many plugins many features you might need,
   while most other systems cannot be enhanced easily

Cons:
 - reply to customers not integrated in Trac, you still have to
   use MUA (notification is not an option, as internal changes
   should not be sent to the customer)
 - if customers reply doesn't contain existing ticket number, a
   new ticket is erronously created, but there is no easy way to
   merge tickets (see #3006)
 - spam protection does not always work perfectly
 - no integration into customer data base, e.g. contact data like
   telephone, nor integration with any CTI or VoIP tool

HTH