Quoting ChiefEngr <jwane...@gmail.com>:
I'm thinking about rolling out somethng like Trac with SVN to handle
revision control (and whatever database engine is the best way to go).

SVN is OK, esp. when using the Tortoise GUI on Windows. Anyway in
the open source community most people use git nowadays, which is
much more powerful than SVN.

My question?  Well, should I host this server on a Windows box or a Linux
box?

For the end user, there is no difference at all. For the admin,
Linux is most likely the better choice than Windows, but YMMV.

As a Debian developer, I'm biased, but I would go for a Debian
server, or maybe for Ubuntu LTS.

Or, is Trac the wrong tool? Is Redmine or something else better?

Trac is just fine, but ask on the redmine list as well to get
a more balanced view.

So here is your chance -- someone is actually **asking** for your opinion!

You didn't ask, which database engine to use. I answer anyway:
Use PostgreSQL. SQLite gets slow on multiple users. You didn't
ask for the web server to use neither, but I suggest to use
Apache with mod_wsgi and the "apache2-mpm-worker" package.

+ SVN (or git) + Trac, and you're fine.

Cheers