on Mon Oct 17 2016, Michael Albinus <michael.albinus-AT-gmx.de> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <d...@boostpro.com> writes:
>> Hi Michael,
> Hi Dave,
>> Tramp just spins its little bar when trying to connect to a nearby
>> machine, and I can't tell why.
>> [3. text/plain; tramp-buffer]
>> Last login: Mon Oct 17 17:58:55 2016 from fe80::425:8609:c5f1:55a0%en3
> ]1337;RemoteHost=dave@Wingy.local]1337;CurrentDir=/Users/dave]1337;ShellIntegrationVersion=3;shell=bash]133;C;]133;D;0]1337;RemoteHost=dave@Wingy.local]1337;CurrentDir=/Users/dave]133;AWingy:~
>> dave$ ]133;BKilled by signal 15.
> This is a very strange prompt; Tramp is likely to be confused by
> this.

I didn't do anything explicit to set this prompt up, and I haven't
changed the prompt on the remote machine.  However, I have noticed that
ever since I upgraded to Emacs 25.1, I have seen similar very strange
looking prompts even from local `M-x shell' invocations within
emacs... although *that* doesn't seem to be reproducing now.

> Pls change the prompt on your remote machine, the Tramp manual gives
> you some recipes.

Some other weird thing is going on; when I connect to that machine from
a terminal window, what I see looks very normal.

Skree:~ dave$ ssh wingy.local
Last login: Tue Oct 18 13:04:36 2016 from fe80::425:8609:c5f1:55a0%en3
Wingy:~ dave$
Wingy:~ dave$ logout
Connection to wingy.local closed.
Skree:~ dave$

I don't see the recipes you're referring to in the TRAMP manual.  Do you
have a more specific pointer?

Tramp-devel mailing list